Stock Ticker is extension for WordPress that help you to easy display ticker tape with stock prices information with data provided by
Yahoo Google Finance.
Google in September 2017 completely abandoned free stock API we used for Stock Ticker plugin. That is reason why plugin does not work anymore. We’ll try to find other stock resource allowed by wordpress.org rules and update plugin. If you have any advise or example of free stock API, feel free to contact me!
As soon as I find good alternative for Google Finance allowed for plugins hosted on WordPress.org, and implement new API to plugin, I’ll release new version of plugin and publish update on this page and in community threads https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-not-working-558/ and https://wordpress.org/support/topic/fix-for-api-breakage/
- Configure default set of stock symbols that will be displayed in ticker
- Configure default presence of company as Company Name or as Stock Symbol
- Configure colours for unchanged quote, negative and positive changes
- Disable scrolling ticker and make it static for individual ticker
- Both, global and widget settings provides easy colour picker for selecting all three colour values
- Tooltip for ticker item display Company name, Exchange and Last trade date/time
- Define custom names for companies to be used
- Plugin uses native WordPress function to get and cache data from Google Finance for predefined duration of time
- Ready to be translated to non-english languages
Download plugin below or visit WordPress page for Stock Ticker.
Or visit official WordPress.org page here https://wordpress.org/plugins/stock-ticker/
PLEASE NOTE: Due to violating Yahoo’s Terms of Service, Stock Ticker has been changed to use Google Finance as source of data.
Easy install Stock Ticker as any other ordinary WordPress plugin
- Go to Plugins –> Add New
- Search for Stock Ticker plugin
- Install and activate Stock Ticker
- Configure default plugin options and insert shortcode
[stock_ticker]to page or post, or Stock Ticker Widget to preferred Widget Area
First of all, define basic settings for plugin on Settings –> Stock Ticker page. There you can set:
- Single or list of stock symbols separate by comma (example: GOOG,YHOO,MSFT,AAPL).
- How company will be presented on ticker (as company name or as stock symbol).
- Colour for unchanged quote, negative change and positive change.
- Custom names for symbols that will be used (example: “Cisco Systems Inc.”). Single symbol per line in format SYMBOL;CUSTOM_NAME (symbol and name separated with semicolon).
- Cache timeout for caching feeds (prevent slow website load when you have huge traffic).
- Custom error message that will be displayed instead quotes in ticker when app fail to load quotes from Google Finance.
- Custom CSS style for ticker item (font family, font size, font weight).
Then you can insert ticker as:
- shortcode [stock_ticker] on post or page
- widget to preferred widget area
- by inserting PHP code to theme file:
<?php echo do_shortcode("[stock_ticker]"); ?>
Both, shortcode and widget, you can additionally customize and use multiple instances with different set of stock symbols and quote colours.
Shortcode support same parameters as default settings and widget. Full syntax example:
[stock_ticker symbols="IBM,CSCO,AAPL,INTC" show="symbol" zero="#000" minus="#f00" plus="#0f0" static="0" nolink="1"]
So, available parameters are:
symbols– (string) single or comma separated stock symbols
show– (string) can be
namefor Company Name or
symbolfor Stock Symbol
zero– (string) hex value of colour for unchanged quote
minus– (string) hex value of colour for negative change
plus– (string) hex value of colour for positive change
static– (boolean) enable static unordered list instead scrolling ticker
nolink– (boolean) do not link ticker item to page on Google Finance
Multi instance widget can be re-configured with all settings available for default plugin settings. So, you can (again) set individual:
- stock symbols
- how will company be represented (as name or stock symbol)
- colour for unchanged quote, negative and positive change
- make ticker static (or not)
And we appreciate your support
Spread voice about Stock Ticker on social networks, rate and review on WordPress.org, feedback in comments below or